5 Common Braces Emergencies and Dentist Recommended Home Treatments
30 July 2020
It’s possible to experience problems with your brackets and wires when you have braces. For emergency cases, call our clinic as soon as possible to book a repair appointment.
Below are some quick fixes that we’ve put together to relieve some of the discomforts you face while waiting for your repair appointment.
However, do note that you’re required to call our clinic as soon as possible for an orthodontic repair appointment if you face the below emergency situations. Repair appointments are required when there’s severe discomfort, a loose band, a broken wire or something sticking out that you can’t take care of.
Please call us to book an appointment before you come down. If you have a regular appointment scheduled, call us immediately to notify us if you need a repair appointment.
1. Poking wire
If not fixed, poking wires may cause soreness and cut your gums and cheeks.
Here are 2 ways to prevent the wires from poking.
Solution 1: Use a cotton bud or clean tweezers to push the poking wire down.
Solution 2: Place wax on the poking wire to lessen the pain.
- Take a small amount of wax using your fingers.
- Ensure that your braces are dry.
- Then, apply the wax on your bracket such that there is a small mound.
- Replace when necessary.
Don’t worry if you happen to swallow the wax.
2. Loose bracket or band
For loose brackets:
- If your bracket is still attached to the wire, leave it in place and put wax on it.
- If it has fallen out of the wire, keep the bracket and bring it to the clinic during your repair appointment.
For loose bands:
- If your band is still attached to the wire, place the wire back into place and put wax on it.
3. Loose wire
When there’s a loose wire, use a tweezer to push the wire back into place and put some wax on it to alleviate discomfort.
4. General soreness
After the placement of your braces, you may feel general soreness in your mouth. Your teeth may also be more sensitive to biting pressures for the first 3 – 5 days.
Your lips, cheeks and tongue may also become irritated for 1 – 2 weeks as they get used to the braces.
To relieve this, you can try the following:
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water.
- Put wax on your braces to lessen irritation to your lips.
- Take aspirin (or any medication you usually take for a headache) if the pain is severe.
5. Food caught between teeth
This is not an emergency.
To remove food stuck in your teeth or braces, either
- Tie a small knot in the middle of some dental floss and use it to remove the food or
- Use an interproximal brush or toothpick to remove it.
Treating Braces Emergencies at Home
For any braces emergencies or problems, give our clinic a call at +65 3165 4503 for immediate assistance.